May 28, 2009

Patch Master

In the fall, we had gophers in our lawn. Although I never saw any in person, I bet they're really cute*. The doggies love to try to catch them too, not realizing they live underground. What's not so cute? The mounds of dirt and big gaping holes they leave in our lawn through their underground network.


So now that it's summer, I've finally decided to attempt to deal with the aftermath (spring just flew me by).


First I filled in the holes and leveled out the mounds. Then I dug up the ground a little since it's pretty compacted.

Then I sprinkled grass patch all over it (make sure the layer is not over a half inch in depth), and watered it thoroughly. I'll have to do this twice daily for the next couple of weeks.

I've got more areas that could use this treatment but I wanted to do a spot treatment here first to see if this will even work. Does anyone know if I should be doing something instead or addition to? Is it too late in the season for me to hope for success?

* Our gophers went away on their own, but maybe they are just seasonal residents here. We've been told that the only sure way to get rid of them involves a garden hose and a shovel. Disclaimer: I do not condone this method on the cute little creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment