May 3, 2010

Clearing Up the Air

I have a dirty secret. Literally. And it involves this:

(my furnace)

I have never changed the air filter in this thing since I've lived here. I have no excuse because I have pets. And eczema.

So that's where this comes in:


I ordered a 6 pack from Amazon. Not that kind of 6 pack. Or that kind either. Although I would be happy with either. Or both!

First take out 1 filter, and put away the rest. Then cut along the top to access the filter, but don't remove the plastic case completely (you'll soon see why).



Then head to your nasty old air filter located under your furnace:



Remove the old air filter*. And brace yourself:

How gah-rows is that? Big time yuck.


This is when you finally remove the plastic sleeve off the new filter, and carefully slide it over the old one:



Mark your new filter with the date you installed it:



Now slide the clean new one where you pulled the gross old one out.




Now toss the old filter and try to forget you let that happen. And then sit back and take a deep breath.



But before you forget the horror, here's one last look at how nasty mine was. *You saw right, it said '30 Day' on the old filter (and indeed it's been a year and half since we've lived here). Are you horrified? Did we beat the world record for air filter procrastination/ignorance?

Have you any similar horrors? Obviously, I won't judge...

No comments:

Post a Comment