Feb 22, 2009

Let there be (better) light


We purchased our house with the intention of doing a kitchen remodel (DIY of course). Most everything in this small U-shaped kitchen appeared to be original to the house from 1973. It also has a low ceiling due to the soffit, which houses 2 dated, yellowing acrylic panels over 3 fluorescent lights.

We loathed that sterile lighting, so we inverted the soffit, and installed recessed lights with dimmers. While we were at it, we added 3 more lights in the outer soffit area to go over the bar counter that we are planning. We ran into some snafus but we documented the process here.

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday I saw someone purchasing the same 2 acrylic panels. How unfortunate. I thought about offering ours to him so he wouldn't have to buy his but I forgot that I used them as 'dropcloths' and they became covered in joint compound and texture paint. And that I violently destroyed them. And that I threw them out.

    Long story short, it was a reminder of how much better life is without them.

    ReplyDelete